Redeemer Logo2

Redeemer Logo2

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Chapter 2 - Your Past Can Be One of Your Worst Enemies

Unaddressed issues in our past can have detrimental and devastating effects on us, and on others in our lives. How should we approach these issues from a biblical perspective? Do we hesitate to bring our concerns to God? Do we recoil at the thought of questioning the Lord of Heaven and Earth? Let's take a look at how this might play out:

"God, how long are you going to let this situation go on? Have you forgotten that I am here in the midst of all this mess? Are you deliberately avoiding me?"
"Do I have to work this thing out on my own? It's tearing me up inside--and others are kicking me now that I am down!"
"God remember me and help me--restore me before all this kills me--those around me will laugh it up the further down I go!"

Does that seem a bit brash and irreverent?

If you answered in the affirmative, consider that the 'conversation' above is a (very loose) paraphrase of a text written by "a man after God's own heart." Here is the original:

How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
(Psalm 13:1-4 ESV)

But note how David ends his lament. After having poured out his heart to God, he then acknowledges his complete and utter reliance upon the unshakable foundation of God's love and salvation, and praises God for his generosity and abundant provision.

But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.
(Psalm 13:5-6 ESV)

It is appropriate to bring our concerns and troubles to God. But we must also not forget that our God is faithful, and although we often cannot see his plan, we can trust that he will work all things for our good and his glory. Because of Christ, we can boldly approach the throne of grace and find help in time of trouble.

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
(Hebrews 4:14-16 ESV)

No comments: