Redeemer Logo2

Redeemer Logo2

Saturday, March 7, 2009

WEEK NINE — Radical Amputation and Accountability

You will need to apply the previous procedures regularly, to various temptations. Sometimes you will find it difficult, and you may even find yourself failing in the battle against temptation. Now, let’s give some further consideration of this matter.

Read Matthew 5:29-30, and ask yourself these questions:
1. Am I avoiding all unnecessary situations, contacts, etc., in which I will be tempted? Be honest!
2. Do I find myself, instead, purposely frequenting those contexts? If so, what must I do?
3. When I cannot avoid contact, possibly dangerous situations, and the like, what should I do then?
[Check out Job 31: 1 for one such initial solution.]
4. If the problem is extreme, what must I do?
5. How would you apply the words about tearing out the eye, etc., to this problem?
6. Last. If for some reason there is still a problem in this area that you find more difficult than you can handle along, speak to the pastor or your elder about it. They will be glad to help.

As you engage in this battle with temptation, remember the encouragement of Christ in Matthew 5:6:

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

You must not only learn to radically amputate, you must also learn to radically hunger and thirst for God’s righteousness.

No comments: